China’s MEPS Lead to Major AC Market Transformation
As climate change continues to heat the earth to unprecedented temperatures, billions of people will rely on air conditioners to accomplish everyday tasks. However, air conditioners and electric fans already account for about 20% of global building electricity use, much of which is generated by fossil fuels. In China, highly polluting coal is the largest source of energy.
China is also the world’s largest manufacturer, exporter, and consumer of room air conditioners (RACs). In the past two decades, minimum energy performance standards (MEPS) have been enacted and revised to encourage more-efficient technologies, slashing energy costs, consumption, and CO₂ emissions. The most recent air-conditioning energy efficiency standard, GB 21455-2019, made significant changes that promote highly efficient technologies and fast-tracked China’s RAC market toward climate-friendly cooling.
- Room AC penetration has steadily increased since 2013, and in 2020 was at 117.7%, meaning there are 117.7 units for every 100 households.
- The new, more stringent MEPS precipitated the domination of the most efficient (grade 1) RACs in just two years, growing from 19% of the market share to 56%.
- Variable-speed ACs, which are technically much more efficient than their fixed-speed counterparts, completely overtook the market, quickly rising from 60% to 98% since implementation of the new MEPS.
- Mepsy analysis shows that without the revised 2019 standard, fixed-speed ACs would still hold a 30% market share in 2030.
- These long-term shifts brought on by China’s updated RAC MEPS are projected to prevent at least 470 Mt of CO₂ emissions between 2020 and 2030. Even more reductions could be realized with full adoption of the Best Available Technology (BAT).
- The Chinese MEPS also increased the average efficiency of export markets and increased the market share of more sustainable refrigerants.
As RACs are widely traded internationally and have cross-border supply chains originating in China, this report serves as evidence to encourage countries with similar market conditions as China to use their policy as a reference.
You may like this additional Market Transformation research
Renewable Energy Systems
2021 Appliance Data Trends
The 2021 Appliance Data Trends report builds on the 2018 Appliance Data Trends report and presents updated product performance, energy efficiency, and pricing trends for off-grid appropriate televisions, fans, refrigerators, solar water pumps and early market insights for electric pressure cookers.
Off-Grid Appliance Market Survey 2020
The 2020 Off-Grid Appliance Market Survey shares key insights on the perceived demand for, and impact of, off-grid appropriate appliances using data collected from 133 industry, policy, and development stakeholders. The survey results reflect the dynamic needs of off-grid consumers and aim to characterize the positive socioeconomic impact of a range of household appliances, productive use equipment, and healthcare technologies.
Environmentally Harmful Dumping of Inefficient and Obsolete Air Conditioners in Africa
This report details the extent of the environmentally harmful dumping of inefficient or obselete ACs across ten countries in North, West, East, and Southern Africa, ultimately providing policymakers with a set of solutions to encourage a transition toward highly-efficient, sustainable cooling technologies.
Electric Pressure Cooking: Accelerating Microgrid E-Cooking Through Business and Delivery Model Innovations
To evaluate the need and use-case for EPCs, CLASP conducted a small-scale study with PowerGen Renewable Energy mini-grid EPC customers in rural Tanzania. The report outlines the business model and delivery mechanisms used to distribute the EPCs, demonstrating that in-person trainings and loan facilities are critical components of product uptake and retention.
The Socio-Economic Impact of Super-Efficient Fans in Bangladesh
Super-efficient off-grid fans have the potential to deliver a range of socio-economic, health, and environmental benefits for households in Bangladesh, yet reliable data on the impacts of fans remains sparse. To address these gaps in knowledge, CLASP conducted over 1,600 telephone surveys with off-grid fan customers in Bangladesh.
Policy Measures and Impact on the Market for Room Air Conditioners in India
The Policy Measures and Impact on the Market for Room Air Conditioners in India report analyses and discusses the trends in market growth, technology evolution and market transformation as a result of BEE’s policy program. The paper further explores possible efficiency improvements by 2030 and their climate impacts.