CLASP seeks a Director for its Africa office based in Nairobi to lead a well-established team that
has a strong track record of delivering high impact projects and programs across a wide range of
clean energy access and climate mitigation and adaptation initiatives. This is a replacement hire as
the incumbent has transitioned out of the organization.
Nairobi, Kenya | Full Time |
About the Organization
CLASP focuses on appliance & equipment energy performance and quality, to mitigate and adapt to climate change, expand access to clean energy, and improve lives. We serve at the epicenter of collaborative, ambitious efforts to mitigate climate change and in the global movement for clean energy access, through appliance efficiency.
Our mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances & equipment we use every day, accelerating our transition to a more sustainable world. We work hand-in-hand with governments, experts, industry, consumers, donor organizations and others to propel policies and markets toward the highest-quality, lowest resource-intensive appliances possible.
CLASP has worked in more than 100 countries since our inception in 1999. CLASP has offices in Washington, DC; Nairobi, Kenya; New Delhi, India; and Jakarta, Indonesia with additional teams in Europe and China.
We are mission-driven and committed to a culture of diversity, transparency, collaboration, and impactful work. See our Team Page to learn more about us.
Context & Reason for the Hire
CLASP seeks a Director for its Africa office based in Nairobi to lead a well-established team that has a strong track record of delivering high impact projects and programs across a wide range of clean energy access and climate mitigation and adaptation initiatives. This is a replacement hire as the incumbent has transitioned out of the organization.
CLASP seeks a leader to capitalize on the organization’s potential and leverage our track record and experience to expand on a bold strategic vision for Africa. CLASP’s Nairobi team is currently 12-strong, with a few additional hires in the pipeline. This is an ideal platform to lead and mentor a high-achieving, ambitious staff.
The Director will serve on CLASP’s Senior Leadership Council and contribute to organizational strategy and decision-making in this capacity. The Director will report to the CEO.
Our Vision for the Role
The Director will work collaboratively with CLASP team members in the United States, Europe, Africa, Asia and elsewhere, along with our wide network of international partners and stakeholders to design and guide the execution of innovative and impactful projects and initiatives. They will
nurture existing and forge new partnerships with stakeholders, including national government agencies, philanthropic organizations, bilateral and multilateral institutions, trade associations, private sector companies, and civil society organizations.
The ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial approach to work, a passion for solving the overlapping challenges of where appliances intersect with people and the planet, a commitment to mentorship, and a vision for pan African expansion.
- Build and implement a regional strategy that keeps the big picture in mind: Conduct and roll out programs within the larger context of CLASP, partner, and sector efforts to make appliances as planet-neutral and people-positive as possible.
- Lead and grow a high-performing team: Supervise and grow a dynamic team of professional staff, facilitate ongoing training and professional development, and identify future staffing needs.
- Communicate, collaborate, and track progress
- Advance and nurture productive partnerships: Build and enhance relationships with key stakeholders including government decision makers, trade associations, donor organizations, NGOs, and other partners.
- Lead fundraising efforts and grow and diversify program resources: Identify existing and new sources of program funding and successfully develop and execute business development initiatives to grow program revenue.
- Work with CLASP’s communications team to develop and share compelling stories of program success, research outcomes, lessons learned, etc. Work with the research team to evaluate progress and impact, identify innovative strategies that achieve outcomes at speed and scale.
- Be an active, intentional member of CLASP’s Senior Leadership Council; share timely information therein to guide organizational strategy and decision-making and actively participate in both practical and philosophical exchanges regarding how to further our mission and improve CLASP as a workplace.
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum 10 years of experience in international program implementation; business and partnership development experience preferred.
- Master’s/Graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g., international relations, development, economics and finance, environmental science, law, engineering) preferred or equivalent experience.
- Collaborative leadership style with the ability to deal with complexities and thrive in an ambitious environment
- Persuasive communication skills, both verbal and written; multi-lingual preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills, with the ability to develop effective working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Creative, open-minded, and entrepreneurial approach to the design and execution of long-term initiatives, and a proactive, nimble, and strategic approach to problem-solving.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and mentoring teams.
- Ability to work from the big picture to the small details, managing the execution of the vision, strategies, and plans of the organization
- Ability to maintain composure, flexibility, and a sense of humor under tight deadlines and while collaborating across cultures and time zones.
- Excellent presentation and external representational skills with the ability to represent the organization in professional fora and influence senior stakeholders; comfortable expressing opinions in a setting that encourages a vibrant exchange of ideas.
Compensation and Location
CLASP offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience, including fully paid health insurance for individuals and their families/dependents, provident fund and includes a collegial office environment that supports wellness and flexible telecommuting options. This position will be based in the organization’s Nairobi office. Early morning or evening hours are sometimes necessary to accommodate international collaboration; travel will be required.
Shortlist (www.shortlist.net) is our exclusive recruitment partner for this role. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is closed, though early applications are strongly encouraged. If you believe you meet the attributes and skills above, please send a brief email with your updated CV or LinkedIn profile to:
Partner & Co-Founder Principal Consultant
CLASP is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. Each person is evaluated based on personal skill and merit.