Senior Manager, India Program
CLASP seeks a Senior Manager to manage and grow our work supporting the appliance energy efficiency program in India, with the goal of delivering significant energy savings and carbon emissions reductions.
About the Organization
CLASP focuses on appliance & equipment energy performance and quality, to mitigate and adapt to climate change, expand access to clean energy, and improve lives. We serve at the epicenter of collaborative, ambitious efforts to mitigate climate change and in the global movement for clean energy access, through appliance efficiency.
Our mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances & equipment we use every day, accelerating our transition to a more sustainable world. We work hand-in-hand with governments, experts, industry, consumers, donor organizations, and others to propel policies and markets toward the highest-quality, least resource-intensive appliances possible.
CLASP has worked in more than 100 countries since our inception in 1999. We have offices in Washington, DC; Nairobi, Kenya; and New Delhi, India, with additional teams in Europe, China, and Indonesia.
We are mission-driven and committed to a culture of diversity, transparency, collaboration, and impactful work. See our Team Page to learn more about us.
CLASP’s Climate Team
CLASP’s Climate program supports ambitious efforts to mitigate climate change through appliance and equipment energy efficiency. We work in partnership with policymakers and other key stakeholders in dozens of countries—from Brazil to Indonesia, the EU to China—with support from a diverse group of funders.
Our team provides world-class technical and policy advisory services directly to governments to develop and implement the most ambitious and cost-effective appliance efficiency policies all over the world. We accelerate the development of energy-efficient product markets through minimum energy performance standards, informative product labeling, and identification and promotion of the most efficient appliances, both on and off the grid.
Since 2001, CLASP has supported the Government of India and India’s Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), to build, strengthen, and accelerate India’s appliance energy efficiency policies. Our support is core to national efforts to conserve energy in India. As our program continues to grow, we are expanding our team to ensure we can contribute to deliver ambitious energy and carbon emission reductions.
About the Role
CLASP seeks a Senior Manager to manage and grow our work supporting the appliance energy efficiency program in India, with the goal of delivering significant energy savings and carbon emissions reductions. Working in line with CLASP’s strategy around people, planet, and appliances, the Senior Manager will be responsible for overseeing, leading, executing, and contributing to a range of activities which are part of CLASP’s climate portfolio in India.
In particular, the primary focus will be to:
- Develop ambitious energy efficiency programs that are in line with CLASP’s strategy, draw from global best practices, and help address India’s needs,
- Partnering with managers and other team members, help manage the day-to-day workflow, program implementation support including quality control and technical leadership on projects where required,
- Represent CLASP in discussion with India policy makers and other stakeholders, develop and strengthen external relationships across stakeholders,
- Develop proposals and support fundraising activities.
The candidate will work collaboratively with CLASP team members in India, United States, Europe, South Asia and elsewhere, along with our wide network of international partners and program stakeholders.
- Manage CLASP’s India climate program: lead, manage and grow our ambitious portfolio of climate program encompassing a wide range of activities and initiatives in support of appliance energy efficiency policy in India.
- Lead and grow a high-performing team: Supervise a well established, dynamic team that has a strong track record of delivering high impact projects and programs. Facilitate ongoing training and professional development and identify future staffing and recruiting needs. Provide technical leadership and thought leadership on issues and program implementation. Problem solving skills will be critical to the position.
- Manage, build and strengthen relationships and productive partnerships: Nurture existing and forge new partnerships with stakeholders, including national government agencies, philanthropic organizations, bilateral and multilateral institutions, industry and industry associations, private sector companies, and civil society organizations.
- Communicate: Work with CLASP’s communications team to prepare and disseminate compelling stories of program success, research outcomes, lessons learned, etc.
- Business Development: Working closely with CLASP colleagues, identify new business development opportunities, lead the development of proposals and new projects. Communicate about program progress to donors and external stakeholders.
- Guide implementation and track progress: Develop work plans, detailed implementation plans, terms of reference and monitoring and evaluation metrics. Monitor and evaluate the progress of project activities, identify opportunities for improvement. Ensure effective and timely and quality delivery of projects.
- Keep the big picture in mind: Conduct and roll out programs within the larger context of CLASP, partner, and sector efforts.
The Ideal Candidate
- Graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g. engineering, international relations, development, economics, environmental science) required
- Entrepreneurial approach to design and execution of long-term initiatives, and a proactive, nimble, and strategic approach to problem-solving.
- 10+ years of experience in international energy policy program design and implementation; business- and partnership- development experience preferred.
- Extensive experience working on the ground in India.
- Successful experience working with or for Government in India in support of energy policy design and implementation highly desirable.
- Persuasive communication skills, both verbal and written; excellent written and spoken English a must.
- Demonstrated experience in growing and developing team members.
- Ability to work from the big picture to the small details.
- Ability to maintain composure, flexibility, and a sense of humor under tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and listening skills
Compensation and Location
CLASP offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience, including fully paid health insurance for individuals and their families/dependents, provident fund and includes a collegial office environment that supports wellness and flexible telecommuting options after a certain period of employment. Early morning or evening hours are sometime necessary to accommodate international collaboration; some travel and weekend hours may also be required. We are an equal opportunity employer.
How To Apply
Third Sector Partners is a pioneering cause-connected executive search firm and has been retained to hire for this position. Interested candidates can send in their CVs along with three references and a cover note to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note only shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview.
CLASP is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. CLASP complies with all federal, state and local employment law in the countries we operate and is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, disability, political affiliation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, military or protected veteran status, credit information or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. Each person is evaluated based on personal skill and merit. CLASP’s policy regarding equal employment opportunity applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, job assignments, promotions, working conditions, scheduling, benefits, wage and salary administration, disciplinary action, termination, and social, educational and recreational programs.