Program Associate, China
CLASP seeks a Program Associate Intern to help us plan and execute our portfolio of energy efficiency programs in China.
Location: Remote within Beijing, Chin
About the Organization
CLASP focuses on appliance & equipment energy performance and quality, to mitigate and adapt to climate change, expand access to clean energy, and improve lives. We serve at the epicenter of collaborative, ambitious efforts to mitigate climate change and in the global movement for clean energy access, through appliance efficiency.
CLASP has worked in more than 100 countries since our inception in 1999. We have offices in Washington, DC; Nairobi, Kenya; and New Delhi, India, with additional teams in Europe, China, and Indonesia. We are mission-driven and committed to a culture of diversity, transparency, collaboration, and impactful work. See our Team Page to learn more about us.
CLASP’s Climate Team
Our program supports ambitious efforts to mitigate climate change through energy efficiency. We work in partnership with policymakers and other key stakeholders in over 100 countries—from Brazil to Indonesia, and India to China, with support from a diverse group of funders.
Our team provides world-class technical and policy advisory services to support the development and implementation of ambitious and cost-effective product efficiency policies in countries and regions around the world. We work hand-in-hand with governments, product manufacturers and retailers, consumer organizations, academic institutions, and other key stakeholders to propel markets toward high quality, less resource-intensive products. We accelerate the development of energy efficient product markets through minimum energy performance standards, informative product labeling, and identification and promotion of the most efficient appliances, both on and off the grid.
We have launched ambitious China programs to support the advancement of energy efficient appliances, lighting, and equipment. As our China programs continue to grow, we are expanding our team to ensure we can assist Chinese partners to meet their climate goals and deliver ambitious energy and carbon emission reductions.
About the Role
We are seeking a highly motivated and collaborative individual to join our China Program team. In this role, you will help us plan and execute our portfolio of energy efficiency programs in China.
The Associate will work remotely but must be based in Beijing. The Associate will work collaboratively with the rest of the China Program Team, as well as our team members in Europe, Africa, and Asia, conducting research, analysis, and other tasks to ensure the creation of quality outputs such as reports, memos, and presentations that support the advancement of our portfolio of energy efficiency projects in China. The Associate will report to the China Program Lead.
The exact assignment(s) will depend both on our needs and on your skills, expertise, and interest. For reference, potential projects could include:
- Executing critical program implementation tasks: Conduct a variety of tasks in support of program implementation, including research, analysis, report and memo writing, and delivering presentations:
- Conduct research tasks, such as reviewing existing energy efficiency policies or collecting data on the status of markets for energy-consuming products.
- Conduct policy and data analysis, such as comparing Chinese policies with international best practices and determining the average efficiency of products in the Chinese market.
- Create quality project deliverables by writing thorough market assessment reports, crafting concise policy memos, and preparing presentations on research findings.
- Support program administration and coordination, such as supporting organization of webinars or workshops with partners, supporting translation of program materials.
- Support preparation for communication material, such as collecting energy efficiency and market data, collecting policy news and writing policy brief.
- Engage and collaborate with team members and partners in China and around the world: Maintain communication with relevant partners, researchers, and stakeholders to understand existing energy efficiency initiatives and challenges. Work with team members and policymakers around the world to support the dissemination of Chinese best practices in energy efficiency:
- Support the successful execution of workshops to share and discuss research findings and options for advancing energy efficiency policy and programs.
- Develop and share materials that explain Chinese best practices in energy efficiency policy for an international audience.
- Assist the China Program in building and coordinating support among key constituents, including industry leaders, industry associations, research institutions, government agencies, and donor organizations for energy efficiency policy development and implementation.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in economics, energy, environmental science, engineering, public policy, or international relations preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Chinese required.
- Proactive, resourceful, and strategic approach to learning and problem-solving.
- Ability to work across government agencies, private companies, and other stakeholders to support achievement of program objectives.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to translate analysis into policy recommendations.
- Collaborator and team player with well-honed listening and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter who can operate independently and “manage up”.
- Strong time management and organizational skills, able to manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Ability to maintain composure, flexibility, and a sense of humor under tight deadlines.
- Mission-driven and passionate about making a difference.
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, interested candidates must submit a resume and cover letter via email. Please direct all applications and inquiries to email@example.com.
This position will remain open until filled.
The organization is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. Each person is evaluated based on personal skill and merit.